Xinhuanet, via Enorth – North Korea’s top headquarters said in a press communiqué on December 20 that North Korea wouldn’t counter-strike as a reaction to South Korea’s live-ammunition drill because “it wasn’t worth it”.
Korean Central Newsagency, when releasing the communiqué, said that America’s and South Korea’s military provocations on Yeonpyeong Island, in the seas west of the peninsula, were a “treacherous scheme”. It attempted to provoke a military response from North Korea, thus dragging the Korean peninsula towards the brink of war, to rescue the bankrupt U.S. Asia policies from the brink of bankruptcy, and their strategy against the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea. At the same time, this was a “propagandistic” provocation, trying to save the face of the South Korean authorities in their government crisis. Another reason for North Korea for not striking back was that the exercise had “secretly changed the firing zone and the points of impact”, and only the shells left from the previous exercise had been used. The communiqué said that such “contemptible military provocations” weren’t “worth to be reacted to every time”. The communiqué expressed that the second and third corresponding strikes announced by North Korea before would be used in the future “to liquidate the American and South Korean den”. The communiqué said that from this matter, the world should understrand who was the guardian of peace on the Korean peninsula, and who were the real war provocateurs.
Reportedly, South Korea carried out a live-ammunition exercise of more than one hour on Yeonpyeong Island. Prior to it, the North Korean military had issued a notice to South Korea, demanding an immediate end plans for live ammunition drills in the Yeonpyeong naval area.
The notice said that if South Korea persisted in carrying out live ammuniton drills despite North Korea’s warning, North Korea would, to protect its sacred territorial waters, carry out the second and third, “hard-to-predict defense strikes”, the intensity of which would be stronger and bigger than the previous one.
On November 23, North and South Korea had exchanged fire in a disputed nautical area, near the “northern limit line“. The situation on the Korean peninsula seriously deteriorated.
There are differences between North and South Korea abut the border in the nautical area west of the Korean peninsula. South Korea and the U.S. set a “northern limit line” unilaterally, but North Korea hasn’t recognized it. The military naval demarcation line set by North Korea in 1999 lies further to the south than the “northern limit line”.
World Should Know Who is the Provoker, KCNA (Japan), December 20, 2010